Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solar Panel for J cameras

My camera with the lithium batteries just went dead tonight on day 90. It lasted longer than any of my cuddeback solar cams by twice as much. You’re running 6 volts to your G series? I was told they were a 9 volt camera and that’s what I’ve been using without any issue but 4 of the 1.5 volt D cell batteries is obviously 6 volts. Guess I should step the voltage down to 6 on my G series before I smoke the camera.
    Last edited by joe7039; 09-27-2018 at 08:41 AM.

I haven't set one up on my G yet, but in looking at info available as well as on camera port, it is a 6v. That's what I'm getting ready for it, and will use on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PSPS View Post
    I haven't set one up on my G yet, but in looking at info available as well as on camera port, it is a 6v. That's what I'm getting ready for it, and will use on it.
    The G model camera's external power port is designed for use with the CuddePower external power pack which holds 6 D cell batteries and supplies 9 volts of current. The camera is designed to automatically switch from the external CuddePower pack to the 4 internal batteries (which run at 6 volts) when the external batteries fall down near the 7 volt range. I believe that a 6 volt source supplied to the external port may not work as the logic within in the camera would think that the external batteries are depleted. Just my opinion as I have no inside info on the matter.

So after the power port there must be a regulator stepping the voltage down to 6 volts. I've had 9 volts plugged in for 7 days without issue. I had a hiccup with a J series camera and it was being fed 12 volts and within 2 hours the IR started flashing repeatedly and it was taking a picture every 1 minute and 30 seconds.
    Last edited by joe7039; 09-28-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe7039 View Post
    So after the power port there must be a regulator stepping the voltage down to 6 volts. I've had 9 volts plugged in for 7 days without issue.
    There may very well be a regulator stepping the externally supplied 9 volts down to 6 volts on the G models, I simply don't know. But I do know that the external power port on the G models (as well as the preceding C and E model cameras) is designed to have 9 volts supplied to it. The question at hand for PSPS is if the camera will operate normally if supplied with only 6 volts to the external plug. I doubt that it would because of the auto-switching design between the external and internal power source, but I certainly could be wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by joe7039 View Post
    I had a hiccup with a J series camera and it was being fed 12 volts and within 2 hours the IR started flashing repeatedly and it was taking a picture every 1 minute and 30 seconds.
    The J model cameras have a charging port as opposed to an external power plug like the G models. The 12 volt charging supply must have been too much for the rechargeable batteries.

My guess would be the G series get stepped down to 6 volts as there is 6 volt external battery kit sold for them.
    Capture1.JPG
    I run all my J series without any batteries in the camera but a solar panel and 12 volt battery stepped down to 9 plugged directly in the charging port.

I have been assured that battery pack does work on the G series. I plan to build my own, but good to know.
    On my one I have already fixed, and in the field, it is a 12v to 9v plugged directly into the port on the J camera, and no batteries in the camera.
    As soon as I get my jacks to finish my battery packs, I will have a G series plugged up to a pack like the one in the picture.