Thread: Cuddeback Model C far images in snow

Cuddeback Model C far images in snow

I have to do a semester work in my studies about Camera monitoring of Freeriding activities and my teacher gave me a Cuddeback with 20 MP and a ******* with 1.8 MP to take some images. He says I should take time lapse photos every 5 min from very far away so I can monitor a huge snow face. Now I did this and the ******* Camera did some pretty good photos whilst the Cuddeback is just way to bright. Only some houses can be seen but no skiers etc. Ive tried a lot of changes in the setting but nothing seems to work. Does anybody have an Idee?
    Cuddeback1.jpg*******.jpg

Wow! Something seems to be wrong with the metering system on your Cuddeback! My C model cameras would reliably render that scene very much like the HC600 did... underexposed by a stop or two because of the bright snow but never overexposed like that unless there was something very dark covering the center of the frame. The only setting that effects the metering system is the "Zone" setting in the "Commands" menu where the "Centered" setting seems to justify the exposure metering more toward the center of the frame and the "Wide" setting seems to spread out the metering justification laterally. But the difference between these two settings would be subtle at most and I can't imagine that this is your problem... it most likely is some defect in your individual camera or a glitch in your camera's firmware. If your firmware version is anything less than v.4.01 you can download the most recent version here and maybe installing that will take care of the problem.

As with all cameras, when problems arise you always want to make sure that your batteries are not defective or weak (lithium batteries are best in cold weather) and that your SD card is compatible (SanDisk cards have been reliable for me) and formatted within the camera through the "Clear" command. However, I wouldn't expect either of these to be related to your issue, but you never know.

You can always go to Cuddeback's email support here to explain your problem (be sure to attach a couple of unaltered, full-sized pictures) and get the advice and guidance of the support techs. They respond quickly and will surely help get your problem sorted for you.

Got to looking a little closer at your picture above and I'm beginning to think that your overexposure problem is a stuck IR cut filter. For daylight pictures the IR cut filter, which is a reddish looking reflective filter, must be in-line with the lens to cut the ambient infrared radiation emitted from the sun. If it is stuck in the "down" (night IR shooting) position during daylight the camera will overexpose and the darker portions of the picture like trees, etc. will have a pinkish color cast to them. Looking closely at your sample picture you can see the pinkish cast in the little patch of trees. In the "Test" menu is a "Filter" test. Run this and see if the IR cut filter cycles properly (about three times) between in-line and down. If it cycles OK then maybe just running the test freed it up. If it's still stuck down, sometimes a light but firm rap will loosen it up.

Normal operation when you arm your camera:

1) The camera arms and meters the light conditions to determine if it should be in day or night mode (IR cut filter up or down).
    2) Then the camera moves the IR cut filter to the proper position, if it isn't already there, are goes into operating mode.
    3) Prior to each picture taken the camera meters the light and if conditions warrant the filter is repositioned.

If the filter is stuck down and you can't get it to free up by running the test routine several times and knocking lightly on the camera, you'll have to notify customer service for repair.
    Last edited by FredG; 03-12-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredG View Post
    Got to looking a little closer at your picture above and I'm beginning to think that your overexposure problem is a stuck IR cut filter. For daylight pictures the IR cut filter, which is a reddish looking reflective filter, must be in-line with the lens to cut the ambient infrared radiation emitted from the sun. If it is stuck in the "down" (night IR shooting) position during daylight the camera will overexpose and the darker portions of the picture like trees, etc. will have a pinkish color cast to them. Looking closely at your sample picture you can see the pinkish cast in the little patch of trees. In the "Test" menu is a "Filter" test. Run this and see if the IR cut filter cycles properly (about three times) between in-line and down. If it cycles OK then maybe just running the test freed it up. If it's still stuck down, sometimes a light but firm rap will loosen it up.

Normal operation when you arm your camera:

1) The camera arms and meters the light conditions to determine if it should be in day or night mode (IR cut filter up or down).
    2) Then the camera moves the IR cut filter to the proper position, if it isn't already there, are goes into operating mode.
    3) Prior to each picture taken the camera meters the light and if conditions warrant the filter is repositioned.

If the filter is stuck down and you can't get it to free up by running the test routine several times and knocking lightly on the camera, you'll have to notify customer service for repair.
    Thank you very mutch for your answer. Ill test the different things you suggestet.

VILLA universita

Thank you very mutch for your answer. Ill test all the things you suggestet.