Thread: White Flash

White Flash

Has anyone seen a significant difference between using a white flash and the IR, specific to the amount of bucks captured? I have one picture of a buck, using a white flash, that appears to be scared as a result of the flash and we've never seen him again. I like the night photos in color, but was wondering if anyone thinks the flash scare the deer?? Thoughts?

Some people swear that the flash scares them away and others say they don't. I've been running flash cameras for a good 10yrs now and rarely have had that happen to me. I think it is something that they get used to,just like lightning at night. I just added Ir cameras about 4yrs ago and have not seen any change in buck action on our property. It will always be a great debate question.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure that there are many opinions out there. I appreciate the history that you've provided to support that its probably not likely that the white flash makes a difference.

I've been running white flash cams since 2007. Most of the bucks I've got over the years don't seem to mind the flash at all.

Same here! White flash rules lol. I've captured many many mature whitetail bucks with Flash. image.jpg
    20 cuddeback cameras of many models
    2 stealth cam
    2 uway

I don't think flash scares off mature bucks at all. I think the sound of filter clunk does much worse

A few people swear that the glimmer alarms them and others say they don't. I've been running blaze cameras for a decent 4 yrs now and seldom have had that transpire. I think it is something that they get used to, much the same as lightning around evening time. I just included Ir cameras around 2 yrs back and have not seen any adjustment in buck activity on our property.

I have used white flash Cuddeback cameras for many years. I found that initially some deer do react to the sudden white flash, if camera is mounted at eye level and facing the deer, but they will get used to it so to speak and then not pay much attention to it. I have thousands of photos of deer standing in front of the white flash cameras, many bucks included. I have had the same response with red glow IR cameras, but the night time IR camera photo quality is generally very very poor. White flash night time pictures are 1000% better quality, very colorful, and detailed.

Mounting the camera slightly higher than eye level takes the camera out of immediate eye level and seems to reduce any alarmed response. I have some cameras mounted 12'-15' high as a security measure. The deer never pay any attention to it.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave1; 01-15-2017 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mochick View Post
    Has anyone seen a significant difference between using a white flash and the IR, specific to the amount of bucks captured? I have one picture of a buck, using a white flash, that appears to be scared as a result of the flash and we've never seen him again. I like the night photos in color, but was wondering if anyone thinks the flash scare the deer?? Thoughts?
    for me, bothare just the same. When you say significant, i think it should be one that majorly sets one apart from the apart. this i didn't see iN either the white flash or the IR