Thread: Carry a weapon when checking cameras?

Carry a weapon when checking cameras?

Been lurking here for some time....time to come out in to the open.

Was talking to a guy who lives down the road from me - he runs some cameras, and we
    hunt a plot of ground in common.

While talking, the subject of 4 legged critters came up - the kind you don't want getting
    close to you. Did he carry when checking his cameras? His answer was yes. I did the same
    for a while two years ago (.22 rifle), then stopped.

So I curious - do any of you carry a weapon while checking cameras, and if so, what?

Thanks

JL

No,I have bear,coyotes,bobcats and the occasional wolf roaming the property and it never crossed my mind to carry a weapon while checking my cameras. When I get pics of a sow with cubs like this year I keep my lab on a leash and just stay aware to whats going on in the woods. Over the years I've walked in a few bears and have made myself known to them by making noise and most of the time they'll just off in a different direction.

I have not to date, but the recent land purchase has frequent bear visits and the neighbor has informed me there's new wolves in the area courtesy of the DNR. So, might have to look into something if not for me, for the kids.

The only thing I carry is a buck knife.

Living in Northern Wisconsin where Wolves are killing Hound Dogs sure I pack a 45 auto,even when I'm at the cabin checking Deer cameras I carry a pistol

I have a CPL so I always carry. My Kimber Tactical Pro II 45 ACP is loaded with W-W Ranger 230 gr HP's.
    I rifle hunt the UP and there are a lot of wolves and a few mountain lions so its not a bad idea to carry.

JD338

I live in Canada. No pistols allowed. But I've been charged by 2 black bears that stopped 3 feet back and popped there jaws and bounced on there front feet and it is scary as hell!! One time with a gun one time it was in the truck. Also I was checking a camera and had a doe run straight down the trail towards me turning at the very last second and seconds later a giant white/grey wolf I could have reached out and touched panting with its tongue hanging out... So I still only carry "most" the time. Never seen a cougar or griz while checking cams but did get a Grizzly pic once.
    20 cuddeback cameras of many models
    2 stealth cam
    2 uway