Thread: Arboretum Security

Arboretum Security

My wife volunteers at a local town arboretum that has been experiencing theft of some valuable plants. I suggested putting in a "trail camera" to monitor various sections. As luck would have it, there was a gentleman who works for a sporting goods supply who uses the arboretum for daily walks and he suggested the Cuddeback Attack IR. I have been trying it out at home and now i am testing it in the arboretum. The arboretum does not have any place yet to install a normal security system so the Attack IR seems to be the best option available. It supports HI Def 5 meg pictures which can be enlarged to see greater detail like at a distance. We are looking into expanding the number of cameras because it is a 30 acre rural setting. Even when the guest center is built we can still use the cameras in the more remote sections. I like the many options available to monitor the gardens and I am trying out different ones to see what will work best for our application. At present I have concerns about the battery life with this security application. I use it with the CuddeSafe mounted to a tree.

How did this one turn out?

Arboretum Security

I have tried multiple methods to capture images on the camera. The Guard Duty mode takes up too much space and has poor resolution beyond close distances so it is not good for monitoring something like a garden area. The video capture mode isn't good either for two reasons: 1. it has low resolution which makes enlargement useless and the time it takes after the still capture to save the image is too long and 2. the subject is out of frame because the trigger distance is too close. I can get out to about 40 feet but that isn't good enough. I have to capture the subject as it walks towards or away from the camera. If I try to get the image at right angles they are out of frame unless they are walking very slowly. This is also useless for vehicular traffic due to the speed. The best I have found is to set the camera for armed single shot with a delay of 5 seconds. These are the only 5 MP images and can be enlarged to see good detail. I use it to monitor close areas and the entrance to the arboretum where I can capture the vehicle, license plate and sometimes the drivers image if the windshield glare isn't too much. This is a last resort only application and not what the camera was designed to do. I would also need too many cameras to cover the area. It is great for wildlife though (big Suprise?) Ro