PDA

View Full Version : At my witts end?

Bagman
08-24-2011, 08:06 PM
This is my first time on this forum and I normally don't right comments or reviews I just read. This may get long but I have to vent. I have been running trail cams since 1999. My first cam being a Camtracker 35mm. Awesome cam, still own it but haven't used it in years. I'm not sure what year it was when I bought my first Non Typical deer cam 35mm but it seems like a life time ago. I had a bunch! Had a few stolen and replaced them. I never had a problem with the 35mm, they were bullet proof. Then cam the digitals. My wife bought me the first Cuddeback digital that came on the market. It has the old flash card and I still use it, great camera! Then came the Captures. I have sent back everyone I have owned for the same failure that brushboy achery listed above. The last two I sent back went like this. I called Cuddeback and we went thru the steps on the phone. Once she determined my cameras both needed service she offered me this (warrentys were up 18 months old). I pay $75.00 each plus $10.00 each for S.H. for a total of $170.91 and I get 2 new cameras with a 12 month warrenty. I asked her if I could get a reason why my cameras are failing the same way, I have tried all types of SD cards, I run the Rayovac batteries as they request and I treat my cams as if they were gold, I work hard for my money and I want them to last. My hunting partner has had the same problem....strange hey? Anyhow I told her I would have to think it over before I purchased another Cuddeback product. I have pitched enough money and still have had the same problem. I thought about it for a few days and decided to take there offer. I just got my two new cameras today via UPS. I pulled the first out of the package loaded my new RAYOVAC batteries, went thru the steps......same thing!!! Took the second out of the package.. you guessed it same thing..in the armed mode counts down to zero then returns to 9. I could have cried. Now I have to listen to that guy on the phone tell me "your call is important to us" again for 15 minutes. I talked to the customer service gal and we went thru the paces again. She told me she was going to give me a RMA number to ship them back. I asked if I could talk to a technician. My partner and I must be doing somthing wrong for this to keep accuring. I would rather find out what the problem is rather than to pay for another camera, no? Besides I have to drive 30 miles round trip evertime I go to UPS. Why sound I have to pay for any shipping? They supplied me with a product (2) out of the package that didn't work. Anyhow I appolgized to the gal, she was very nice. She said she will get up with her managment team and they will get back to me in a day or two. Very frustrating. I'm sorry I rambled but this has really got my goat. My only intention was to come on here and see if someone was having the same problem and had a fix. I need my cams and I need them to work. Is that to much to ask?

candella1
08-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Need to know which models you have. I had the original first trail cam they came out with but the flash finally burned out. That was my favorite cam they made. Picked up a second, but it never seemed to sense the deer and take pictures, forget what the model, but it was a no flash I think? Anyway, took the same deal and traded those two in on the Capture with flash. Haven't had a single problem with either of them.

Bagman
08-25-2011, 08:09 AM
I guess I didn't mention the models. I prefer the flash model cameras. The models I'm running now are Capture flash. Glad to hear you haven't had a problem with yours. How old are they and do you use them year round? Mine only get a couple of months out of the year were they are not being used. March and April.

bearman69
08-25-2011, 09:44 AM
I've been using Capture flash for 3yrs. now with great success. I only use Duracell batteries in all my Cuddebacks(8) and I only use sandisk cards in all my cameras. Hope this helps and good luck. bearman

Bagman
08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Again, glad to hear of your success. I use Rayovac batteries per Cuddebacks instructions. I have used Sandisk, Lexar, Walgreen and Kodack SD cards. Once I view my images thru my card reader I always transfer my images to a file. Than everytime I insert the SD card into a camera I format it to that camera.

Kurt0107
08-27-2011, 08:00 PM
As I read your post if I did not know better I would think I wrote it!!! I have and still own the Experts and the cameras are great but now Cuddeback comes out a couple of years ago with this Capture that is faster and better. I should know better from others don't buy a first year product, well I do and have the same problems you mention along with the flash ubit going out. Now when you call Cuddeback up and mention a problem and you have called while the product is in warranty and when you try what they say with the formatting of the card through the camera and trying new SD cards cause of the counting down from 40 then starting over from 9 time after time they would cut you a break.
Well both Captures have been returned with me having to load the new firmware one caera is back out in the field and the other is going back and forth between me and Cuddeback as I get a new camera and it does the samething countdown here we go. Now this is a problem and you would think when a new camera is shipped out after several attempts they would make sure that they are sending a updated camera so they would not take the chance of upsetting the customer one more time. And I feel for you also everytime the camera goes back it's another $10 or so out of your pocket.
I now have another Capture sitting here doing nothing when it should be out in the woods taking pics of big bucks and bears and what not waiting to find out when to send in as the techs decide what I am to do.

Bagman
08-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Kurt0107, I shipped 3 Captures back Saturday. They are all doing the same thing, counting down. I included 3 SD cards and a set of batteries. I will let you know if we find anything out.

Kurt0107
08-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Bagman. Good Luck hope things work out. I just find it hard when you buy something new you have to update the firmware and all the advise you get when you have a problem with a new product is are you using new sd cards are you using new batteries did you format the card from the camera.... When you buy something new you should be able to set it up in a couple of minutes hang it on the tree and let it take pictures.. That is the wau Cudde use to be but now it seems like they are rushing to get new out on the market and they have to many bugs!!! Just my thoughts and yes you will get a problem one once in a while but one after another I know if I was on the other end I would be maiking sure before I shipped it it was working....

DanWill
08-29-2011, 05:15 PM
I have the attack flash, installed the firmware update and the flash range went from about 40 feet to barely 10. After waiting on the phone, a toll call, for 20 minutes I was able to get someone to give me an email address to a technician who sent me another update to get my camera back to the factory settings. After two days tha flash won't work at all now. Just ordered a Wildgame innovations camera and am taking the attack back for a refund. Do not mess with the firmware.

FactoryRep19
08-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Bagman- feel free to send an email to support@cuddeback.com this will get you in touch with a technician who will be able to answer the questions you are looking for.

Bagman
08-31-2011, 08:41 AM
UPDATE: I was contacted by phone yesterday by Cuddeback. A technician by the name of Ryan. He informed me that one of my SD cars was missed labeled by the manufacture! It was a Walgreen card labeled 2GB but the memory is actually 4GB. He is thinking this is the culprit and it makes sence to me. They shipped me 3 new cameras. His recommendations are to down load the upated software and get new SD cards. I will follow his instructions. I must say, he was very helpful and answered all my questions while we were on the phone. Looks like I will be sticking with Cuddeback, thank you.

fishyj
08-31-2011, 11:28 AM
I have a new/replaced Capture Flash, it came with the 0207 update. I can't get it to upload the 0209 update it's supposed to have. Gets to the third step and reads sd-4, which means the camera is updated. the update is on the card, have tried 2 different clean cards. Guess I'll leave it cause it is working good. My Attack IR took some all dark pics at night but is working fine after being sent in. Good luck with the Captures.

KILROY
09-16-2011, 07:03 PM
I own two capture flash cameras. I really never used them that much. the first one went bad counting down to 0, then would go back to 9 and count down to 0 over and over. I made contact with Cuddeback. The told me there was nothing they could do but sell me another one at roughtly half price. I was dumb enough to do it. Now the second camera is doing the same thing. both cameras were hardly used. I can only imagine how long the the newest replacement camera I bought will last. I can honestly say they don't last long enough to justify the cost. You would think that based on the fact that so many people are reporting this same problem that they would try to help their customers. It is obvious it is a product error on their behalf. I would assume that they will see a large decline in sales based on all the complaint i have read. I am out $400.00 and nothing to show for it. I will be telling my friends about cuddebacks!!

Highcenter
10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Guys and girls my Capture problems where solved with the correct format of the sd card(fat32). Now the new Attack is a differant story. Also, The max card size I use is a 1G. Once all my cards where correctly formated on my computer, I never again had the count down problem.